What This is All About

So many times in life I want to make a purchase (big or small) and I say to myself...."I wish someone would just tell me which one is the best so I can buy that one." For me, it has happened the most with gadget-type purchases, but has even happened with purchases like toasters or clothes. I want to use this blog to help you on your purchasing journey. I figured that I have done some research already and am willing to do more, so why not lend you a helping hand. I also have LOTS of opinions, stories, interesting news articles, etc. that I would love to share with my readers. I hope you enjoy them. PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, OR REVIEWS/RECOMMENDATIONS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is There A Hypoallergenic Cat?


My family loves pets. Right now we have a Sphynx cat, a rabbit, 2 parrots, and an African Cichlid fish tank. We have had many other pets in the past such as more cats, lizards, snakes, saltwater fish, hamsters, rats, etc., etc. A few years ago, my wife, my daughter, and myself started developing hives as an allergic reaction to 2 kittens we just acquired. Unfortunately, the reactions were so severe that we had to return the little guys. The event, however, got me thinking about the existence of hypoallergenic or non-allergic cats. I did a little research and decided to purchase a Sphynx which are hairless. The breeder assured me that this breed still produces allergens, but they are much less due to the absence of hair. She was right and 2 years later we have still not shown any signs of allergies. 

As a side note, female cats are generally thought to have less allergen than male cats.  Pedigree cats like the ones below can cost an average of between $500 - $1500.

So what are the best choices in hypoallergenic cats? Here are my opinions:

Good

The Sphynx and Rex are good choices, but many people still show signs of allergies with them. The Sphynx is almost completely hairless and the Rex has a very short coat. Many people with cat allergies can live comfortably with these breeds. Make sure you find a breeder who will take the cat back if you develop allergies and find it a good home.



Better

The Siberian cat is a better choice.  This cat is said to be hypoallergenic and it produces less allergens than other breeds.  One Siberian breeder claims that she has never had someone return a cat to her because they were allergic.  This is a beautiful cat and for those of you who want the traditional look and feel of a cat, this is a good choice.


The Best

True 100% hypoallergenic cats do exist.  Two companies that I know of who sell them are Allerca Lifestyle Pets and Lifestyle Pets.  These cats are guaranteed to be hypoallergenic and the company's' claims are backed by scientific evidence.  The downside to the equation is that most of these cats have to be shipped to you at a local airport and they are extremely expensive.  Expect to pay a bare minimum of $6000 for one of these cats.  If you have the means, please look into this option.  Some of these companies are also starting to produce dogs as well so this could be the wave of the future in dog and cat breeding.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Your blog looks great. Many people suufer from pet allergy and cat allergy is one of the worse. www.allergiestocatsrelief.com helps people reduce the symptoms of cat allergy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete